1. The Suffolk County Department of Health announced Friday, July 13 that mosquito samples collected in and on July 2 and 3 tested positive for West Nile Virus.
2. Suffolk County Legislator Steve Stern will call on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to combat West Nile and Babesiosis on Long Island at a press conference today.
3. Coming up on Wednesday, The Dix Hills Library will host a " on Wednesday to answer that age old question of what a stuffed animal might do alone, overnight, at the library. Drop stuffed animals off Tuesday July 17 and/or Aug. 6 from 12-4 p.m. for an overnight visit, then come back for breakfast and a special slideshow starring your animals running amok in the library on July 18 and/or Aug. 7 from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
4. Things are looking up for Suffolk County residents. County Executive Steve Bellone announced that Suffolk's budget gap has fallen to $300 million, down from earlier estimates of $530 million.
5. Forecasters predict morning showers today, then partly cloudy in the afternoon with a high of 88 degrees.