The Art League of Long Island has announced the award winners of its first juried photography exhibit, selected by juror and renowned photographer, Joseph Szabo.
In the exhibit, which runs through Sept. 2, photographers from the tri-state area were challenged to submit their interpretation of cultural diversity.
Of the 63 entries in the exhibit, the following works have been selected for awards:
Awards of Excellence:
- “Ellis Island, First Impressions – Revisited” by William Grabowski of Huntington Station
- “Circus” by Dan Wagner of Roslyn Heights
- “Anuoluwapo” by David Weber of Commack.
- “Impoverished-Athens” by Harvey Birnbaum of Dix Hills
- “Dancing Duo” by David Curtis of Poughkeepsie, NY
- “Missionary” by Cheryl Mellina of Huntington Station
- “Junior” by Harold Naideau of Northport.
“Cultural identity implies many things including the photographer being in harmony with others who may be friends or strangers and being able to empathize and establish trust with his/her subjects. This is what the best photographers do. Let us enjoy and congratulate those in this exhibition who with their images have hit the bullseye by showing us the poignant moment that enlarges their world and ours,” said Joseph Szabo.
The Art League’s Jeanie Tengelsen Gallery is located at 107 East Deer Park Road in Dix Hills. The gallery is open to the public Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM and weekends from 11 AM to 4 PM. There is no admission charge. For more information call (631) 462-5400 or visit www.artleagueli.org.