Generator Safety at Forefront After Oceanside Death

Fire officials urge safety in wake of Oceanside carbon monoxide death.

Generator safety has been a major topic of discussion since Hurricane Sandy hit last Monday, with fire officials and local politicians urging residents to keep generators out of their homes.

The warning comes with greater meaning after an Oceanside woman died Monday from police said appeared to be elevated levels of carbon monoxide in her home.

Nassau County detectives said that Michelle Bracco, 44, was discovered unconscious in her home around 10 p.m. Monday night. She was transported to South Nassau Communities Hospital where she was pronounced deceased at 11:05 p.m. by medical staff.

Police said that a portable generator in Bracco's attached garage was being used to power the residence.

The Oceanside Fire Department detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the home at the time of the incident. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas given off by gas-powered generators, fire officials said.

The Village of Rockville Centre urged residents to use caution when it came to running a generator.

"If you are using an alternate heating source or an electric generator, make sure that you have a carbon monoxide detector in place and supplied with fresh back-up batteries," the village said in a release.

Commack firefighters and Rep. Steve Israel earlier this week told Long Islanders to be careful and use 'common sense' when using a gas-powered generator through power outages. 

"People need to be cognizant these are dangerous times. Hurricane Sandy has crippled Long Island ... power outages are abundant. The use of these generators are clearly a problem," said Patrick Fazio, Commack Fire Department commissioner. 

Fire chiefs report responding to numerous calls for potential carbon monoxide poisoning like the incident in Oceanside, but carbon monoxide isn't the only danger when using a generator.

The Commack Fire Department responded to a 911 call early Monday morning in which a Commack woman suffered severe burns after spilling gasoline while attempting to refuel a generator and a nearby candle caused the vapors to catch fire.  Fazio said it is one of many generator-related calls Commack firefighters have responded to over the last week.

"As it gets colder, more and and more people are relying on generators because LIPA is not getting on the electricity fast enough," Israel, D-Dix Hills, said. 

Israel said that every year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, with more than 20,000 visiting the emergency room and 4,000 being hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. 

John Cangemi, the head underwriter for scientific safety organization Underwriters Laboratory, offered these safety tips when using generators: 

  • Place portable generators as far away from the home as possible. 
  • Never use a portable generator inside the home, inside the garage or inside a enclosed area. Use a generator outdoors on an level, elevate surface so that water does not collect near it. 
  • Keep your generator dry, unless your generator is rated as weatherproof. 
  • Use a carbon monoxide alarm. Even when a generator is used correctly, carbon monoxide may leak into a home. 
  • Never use a generator to power your entire home - unless the generator is rated to do so. Only use a generator to power a few necessary household items. 
  • Do not attempt to use a stove top or gas oven to heat a home. Use appliances as attended to avoid potential problems. 
  • Do not attempt to plug a generator into a regular home outlet, use a UL-rated outdoor power cord. 
  • Be cautious when fueling generators. Fuel and vapors are extremely flammable.

Includes reporting by Sara Walsh.

Frank November 08, 2012 at 04:53 PM
People wouldn't need to put their lives at risk if LIPA DID THEIR JOB!!!!!!
Kaimilla Brown November 16, 2012 at 06:58 AM
Informations should be generated or spread regarding the safety usage of generators. It is very vital that you know that generators might expel carbon monoxide that are very poisonous aside from that generators can also cause fire. That is why it is very important to also take precautions in using generators. REading manuals is very important. -http://www.wisesales.com/


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »