A restaurant fire earlier this week has forced the closure of the 18th Legislative District office.
Majority Leader Jon Cooper said that the fire Tuesday morning at the led to considerable smoke and water damage to his office in the same building at the corner of Gerard Street and Clinton Avenue in Huntington. He said that no one has been permitted to re-enter the office, meaning computers, files and contact information are inaccessible.
"While this does place a very definite strain on our ability to provide the level of service our constituents have come to expect from me and my dedicated staff, we are doing our best to continue providing those services even through this unfortunate episode," Cooper said.
"We are in the process of rectifying our district office dilemma and I will, of course, share any updates with you. Please rest assured that my first priority is to reestablish these all-important services that are the cornerstone of my work as your voice in County government. Once we know what the future holds for our office operations and location, we will communicate that information to you through all the outlets available to us."
Cooper said those needing immediate assistance from his office should call 631-853-5000.
Earlier this week, workers were busy assessing the damage at the restaurant as the owner, Jason Kitton and others discussed the difficulties of reopening. The restaurant opened for business on March 3.
Assistant Chief Ken Cochrane praised the work of his men and that of the other departments that responded, Huntington Manor and . "The guys all did a fantastic job," he said, preventing the kitchen fire from spreading to other parts of the building.