NorthShoreAlert, the mass communication system for the Port Washington-Manhasset peninsula, issued this message at 10:51 a.m. Thursday. Sign up for alerts at NorthShoreAlert.org
• This is a long message with important LIPA and other information.
• Last night’s nor’easter caused new power outages and LIPA to pull their crews from the roads early because of winds. They are back on the road this morning. The PWMOEM has been working with LIPA, the local villages, and the town to try to assess when power will be restored. Obviously, LIPA’s estimate of 90% by yesterday was unachievable. The following information is not official, but our internal estimates of when power will be restored to the peninsula. Please note that we don’t have access to full information and have no control over any restoration issues.
• Power gets restored sometimes in chunks and sometimes in small branches. As the crews continue their efforts, electricity will spread hour by hour, day by day. It is impossible to predict at this point which neighborhood and which street will come back on which day. The only additional color and opinion that we can offer at this time is that we expect 90% of the areas north of Stonytown road to come back on between now and mid-end of next week. We expect 90% of the areas south of Stonytown to be a couple of days sooner. We offer this information to help you plan. There is no precision to it. The Stonytown demarcation is not precise either. You may come on sooner or later. We hope this information helps you plan your family lives. Please don’t be angry with us we only want to give our best information and assessments.
• Tonight the temp will fall to 34 degrees, 41 tomorrow night, and then some gradual warming.
• The public shelter at New Hyde Park Memorial High School is at 300 Leonard Blvd.
• If you have heat and can welcome a family or an individual into your home, please tell us. If you need a place to stay, tell us. We will try to match situations up as best we can. Email, which is preferred, to email@example.com or call 516-883-0000.
• The PWM OEM Recovery Center is now at the PW Library. It is a warm place to come. Wifi. All residents of the peninsula are welcome. It will be open today and tomorrow till 9pm.