News Alert
Cops: Brooklyn Woman Murdered Housemate, Spread…

Sandy Tax Relief for Property Owners

Town Board votes refund for severely damaged properties.

Owners whose property was severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy can apply for a refund of part of their 2013 town taxes.

The Huntington Town Board voted unanimously Friday to approve provisions of a state law, the Superstorm Sandy Assessment Relief Act, which enables the town to grant assessment relief. The amount of the reduction, and as a result the size of the refund, ranges from 15 percent to 100 percent of the improved value, based on a sliding scale that compares the cost to repair a damaged structure against the structure’s value.

“This provides tax relief for a period of time during which people could not use their property,” Supervisor Frank P. Petrone said. “It’s only fair that they receive some consideration, and hopefully will help them move forward.”

The Town Board’s action applies only to the Town portion of the property tax. Suffolk County has also voted to take part in the program. School boards also have the option of joining.

To receive the reduction, a property owner must file an application (a state form and a supplemental Town form) by Jan. 21 and provide certain documentation, such as reports by insurance adjusters, photographs of the damage, invoices, receipts, canceled checks documenting extent of work performed and, if one was made, a damage assessment report by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The state and Town forms can be downloaded or obtained by calling the assessor’s office at 631-351-3226.

bill celona December 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I commend the Town board on approving assessment relief act for sandy victims its long overdue.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »